We are so proud of Chef Mark Majorie! He claimed second place with his braised lamb neck with English pea miso and pickled white peaches at Gambit’s Emerging Chef Challenge last Wednesday. Couldn’t make it to this fabulous event? Stop on by the Fountain Lounge this weekend and taste the wonderful dishes that Chef Mark has prepared.
Few names in the American hospitality industry instantly resonate for travelers and locals the way The Roosevelt New Orleans does. Huey P. Long, who had his own suite at the hotel, was so enamored by the Roosevelt that he reportedly built Airline Highway from Baton Rouge to a location near the hotel to shorten his drive.
The recreated “deduct box” located in the lobby pays tribute to sensation and mystery surrounding the original. It is said that government workers deposited “donations” to fund Long’s political aspirations in the deduct box, and it is believed that at the time of Long’s death, it contained more than one million dollars.
Legend has it that Long kept the deduct box in his suite on the 12th floor of The Roosevelt, but no one other than Long himself knew its exact location. General Manager of The Roosevelt and good friend, Seymour Weiss, visited Long on his death bed and asked him the location of the box, only to be told “Later, Seymour, later” before passing away.
For many years, guests and locals have speculated where the exact location of this mystery box may be. Our friend, Erin Nicole from WGNO-TV, has a new theory that the deduct box was really the mysterious jail cell in The Roosevelt Hotel. To learn more of the sensation and mystery surrounding Long’s infamous relationship with The Roosevelt, please see the video below.
Like The Waldorf Astoria Spa Facebook Page for a chance to win The Iconic Gift from Carita.
Few names in the American hospitality industry resonate with travelers and locals the way The Roosevelt does. Since 1893, this legendary property has represented everything that makes New Orleans one of the world’s greatest destinations. This year, The Roosevelt New Orleans celebrates its 120-year anniversary and the five-year anniversary of its historic restoration. Travel through time as The Roosevelt New Orleans shares 120 of its most remarkable memories.
- BLUE ROOM ” A Night in the Blue Room” – June 25
- A passed hors d’oeuvres and champagne invitation-only reception with live entertainment commemorating the decades of dining and dancing in the Blue Room.
- SAZERAC BAR: May 1 – Dec. 31
- Specialty cocktail “The Grunewald,” named for Louis Grunewald, founder of the hotel.
- FOUNTAIN LOUNGE May 1 – Dec. 31
- Launch of happy hour: Tuesday-Sunday, from 4-6 p.m.
- Happy hour includes select $6 bar bites and $6 libations
- Launch of happy hour: Tuesday-Sunday, from 4-6 p.m.
- WALDORF ASTORIA SPA ” How to Be a New Orleans Jewel” May 1 – Dec. 31
- 30-minute Roosevelt Renew facial in the newly renovated, full-service spa priced at $120, featuring CARITA skincare gift package. Champagne and macaroons will accompany this service.
- TEDDY’S CAFE: “Treat Yourself” May 1 – Dec. 31
- 120th anniversary and five years renewed Apple Charlotte, a legendary treat with house-made ladyfingers, caramelized apples and vanilla bean custard, $5 per item in honor of the hotel’s renewal.
- SOCIAL MEDIA: “Share Your Memories” May 1 – Dec. 31
- Share memories and photos of The Roosevelt Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter; the hotel will select one item per week to highlight and post on the Roosevelt’s blog and social media pages. Please email email@example.com to send your pictures and memories.
- SPECIAL ROOM RATES: “Stay for the Celebration” Aug. 21 – Dec.31
- A special room rate of $120 will be available from August 21-28.
The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, received a 2014 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel website, placing it in the top-performing 10% of all businesses worldwide. The honor is given only to establishments that consistently achieve outstanding traveler reviews on TripAdvisor. Recipients of this designation are required to maintain an overall rating of four or higher out of a possible five as reviewed by travelers on the site and must have been listed on Trip Advisor for at least 12 months. Additional criteria include the volume of reviews received within the previous 12 months.
“Serving our guests and visitors with the highest level of service possible and providing unparalleled luxury are priorities for our team members,” said Tod Chambers, general manager. “We truly appreciate the recognition and strive even further to position our beloved city as one of the world’s great destinations.”
At The Roosevelt Hotel, one does not just make memories, they make history. From weddings to brunches, The Roosevelt has been a stopping place for many New Orleanians. Our hotel has seen many generations grow and have become part of their family traditions. This Mother’s Day let The Roosevelt Hotel assist you in picking the perfect experience for your Mother this year.
This year treat the woman at the heart of your family to a Mother’s Day Brunch at The Roosevelt New Orleans. Brunch will be served in the Waldorf Astoria Ballroom featuring entertainment by Antoine Diel. In addition there will be complimentary valet parking and free flowing champagne. The brunch is available from 10:30am-3:30pm. Adult plates are $89 and children 6 to 10 are $39. To make a reservation for this legendary of Mother’s Day brunches please call 504.648.1200.
The Waldorf Astoria Spa
Indulge your mother with the comfort and luxury from the Waldorf Astoria Spa. Every treatment is transformed into a unique and personal occasion, a moment created especially for her. Book your Mother a Spa Treatment Today or purchase a virtual gift card. Either way your Mother will thank you for the much needed TLC.
Emporium Gift Shop
Looking for the perfect Mother’s Day gift? From books to jewelry to fashion must-haves and New Orleans classics, the Emporium Gift Shop, located on the lobby level of The Roosevelt Hotel, has just the thing for the mother in your life. Your one-stop shop for Mother’s Day shopping, the Emporium Gift Shop at The Roosevelt is open Monday through Sunday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Share your Mother’s Day Memories with us by email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Enter to win a 2-night stay at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Upload your most memorable photo on our Facebook Page and have your friends and family vote on it. The photo with the most votes wins!